Wednesday 1 December 2010

When opportunities knocks… never turn it down

It was a Thursday morning, 11 November 2010. Strong winds and rain battered outside. I clumsily got up from the bed, pleased that my decision made the previous night was indeed good. It’s a bad day, I thought, and travelling to  Swindon in such weather would be terrible.

I had an interview with a Swindon based communications and PR company called Soaring Worldwide. I had another interview in London on the same day. I decided to go for the later.

Minutes after, I received a call from Adam Baggs, the MD of Soaring Worldwide to confirm the interview. I apologised to Adam saying that I had another interview and prefer to have it re-scheduled on some other day. Adam said it wouldn’t be possible to change the date, but offered to bring forward the time of the  interview. He also helped me by checking out the train schedule. Adam’s friendly attitude and a sense of ownership made me overturn my half-hearted decision, and within two hours, I was sitting on a high speed train from London’s Paddington to Swindon.

I was greeted by the two directors, Adam Baggs and Helen Bassett at Soaring Worldwide’s office located in a beautiful business park. The interview was like a friendly conversation set in a formal environment. While the directors briefed me about the company’s history, work and growth plans, I was asked about my journey into the world of communications, past experiences and ambitions. The process also included writing a  press release.
The directors gave me an impression that the company is managed by a team of very dynamic experienced and kind people. I realised that the company is growing rapidly and has some very exciting clients.  I too was on a hunt for a company that could give me a platform to help build strong foundations to my career. Coming out of the interview, I realised that I may have found the company that I was looking for.
A day later I received a call from Adam saying that they wanted to offer me the job. The company also offered me a loan to help pay the  deposit for my rented house in Swindon.
I was nervous but also excited about moving to a new place. The directors of Soaring Worldwide had left a strong impression about the company’s growth story, its work ethics and eco-friendly value. I decided to join Soaring Worldwide despite being successful in two other interviews in London. I am glad to say that at this time I don’t regret my decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment